Things are changing at Avanti!
Here are Q1 highlights at Avanti Engineering:
- First quarter 2019 showed similar numbers to most of 2018.
- Lead times and backlogs on CNC multi- axis lathes remains robust.
- Multi spindle screw machine lead times have softened and lead times currently are better then most of last year 2018. It is a good time to consider getting orders in at this time to take advantage of this softening as it likely won’t last long.
As we move forward or 'avanti' into the summer months, please be aware that this is vacation season and productivity usually seems to suffer some as a result. Please consider this and allow extra time on any upcoming orders due during June, July and August.
Business Trends- March Update
PMPA (Precision Machined Products Association) reported record sales from it's members. Sales for March were up 10.5% over February and up 8.8% over a five year average. 60% of PMPA members expect this sales volume to remain stable. PMPA members can access the full report here.
Avanti Facility Updates
At Avanti, we've had a few changes this year so far:
- A new, long overdue parts display in our front office representing a variety of parts we have made in our history.
- Increased capacity in our CNC Swiss department adding 3 smaller K-16 lathes for increased smaller parts production.
- Newly rebuilt 2-1/4” New Britain bar machine to replace an old worn machine.
- Also, a newly rebuilt 1-1/4” Acme we are expecting soon which will replace a much older piece.
- We replaced older multi spindle davenport’s with much newer better condition machines which will be more productive & hold better tolerance.
Stay tuned for upcoming changes planned for later this year:
- Computer Aided Manufacturing or otherwise referred to as CAM is currently being considered to help expedite CNC computer programming offline. Avanti will be capable of using your 3D solid model drawings from which to program with. This will expedite quoting and programming of applicable parts much quicker. This will also aid in expediting setups quicker to deliver parts quicker. We expect to make a decision on moving forward in the next few weeks.
- Avanti is making our debut into the CNC multi spindle market come this October 2019. This will be our first piece of it’s kind. This equipment will provide multi spindle cycle times to complex CNC parts. This machine will have close to 30 different axis from which to perform complicated machining operations. Avanti will free up two, if not three existing CNC multi axis machines and reduce its ongoing lead time issue in this area. More information will be provided as we inch closer to October.
Concerned about our employees safety due to the recent incidents in the news, Avanti Engineering Inc. & JNR Custo-matic Screw Inc. implemented a Non Violence Program. The program was reinforced with a company policy and onsite training. On Feb. 27th, Glendale Heights Police officers came to train us on how to prepare and react if a violent incident occurs. On the following weeks, in-house training was delivered to all personnel by Human Resources on warning behavioral signs and security measures.
On March 6th, we had the opportunity to give a speech at Lake Park High School to 65 students from the Engineering Manufacturing field. We spoke about our company and why manufacturing can be an option as a career path. On March 22nd, we went to Glenbard North High School in Carol Stream where 22 students received the same information. They were very interested and excited to come visit our premises and have a tour on Manufacturing Day. Read more about our Apprenticeship programs.
- Brass seems stable with slight fluctuations up & down.
- Steel, Stainless steel & aluminum seems like it has leveled off after the tariff impacts last summer 2018. We have seen some availability issues on certain sizes resulting from hot roll deficiency.
- Avanti can machine plastic in addition to metal, please keep us in mind for plastic machining. Read More.
- Subcontractors: Lead times have gone from what use to be days to now weeks in some cases. Please allow extra time for subcontracted plating, anodizing, heat treating and passivate services. Check out our full offering of Value Added Services.
- Some of you do your own in house machining. If you are looking to discontinue in house production and want to sell your equipment let us know.
- Referrals are always welcome. We appreciate any machinists you can point our way as well as any new potential clients who you can refer to Avanti. Employment applications are available online.
We know you have many choices from which to choose in purchasing your “machined components”. We are greatly blessed to have the support of all of you and we continue to strive at improving your buying experience here at Avanti Engineering. I am always available and can be reached during normal business hours. We want to thank you for your continued support and trusting us as a valued partner.